Hello, and thank you for visiting my page! My name is Amanda. I'm an American certified English teacher, currently in the beautiful and historic country of Turkey.
Don't be confused by my headscarf! I am born in the U.S., a native English speaker and all of my family is American, going back many generations. : ) I'm of no Middle Eastern origin, I just wear a headscarf. I write this, because I have many curious students, which is A-okay. ; )
I am a dual-master's graduate, and business professional, and I have been teaching English for 3 years now. I have two master's degrees, teaching certifications, and I am very personable and culturally sensitive. I teach students from around the world, from diverse cultures and each with unique language goals. I truly care about my students and I take great pride in helping them reach their English language goals.
I love teaching English and I love learning about different cultures and sharing ideas, so Verbling is the perfect place for me to combine these interests.
My Teaching Style:
My teaching style is both professional and relaxed. I like to make sure my students feel comfortable. They don’t have to worry about making mistakes. This is important because in my lessons I want them to talk! I love listening to my students' stories and helping them sound more natural! Respect is also important in my classes. It is crucial to create a positive learning atmosphere.
In our lessons, I can help you with pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary acquisition, and of course, sounding more like a native speaker! We can have very structured lessons with excellent materials with excellent English articles, or if you prefer, we can have more relaxed lessons, in which we focus on daily conversation.
I will teach you standard American English, so if you want to learn lots of slang or idioms, my classes may not be the best fit for you.
If my students have any questions or ideas for how they would like to be taught, they can bring them to me and we can make a more personalized lesson plan!
I like traveling and meeting people from different countries! I also enjoy learning new languages, trying traditional food, and going on nature hikes! My favorite country I have visited remains Italy, as the atmosphere and rich history are really incredible.
I love teaching English, and I greatly enjoy helping my students succeed in meeting their English language goals, and I look forward to teaching you and helping you reach yours!
Focus on International relations, conflict prevention, and cultural understanding
Golden Voice English - Online
• Provide exceptional online English lessons to Chinese youth • Deliver engaging and innovative e-Learning intensive speaking course lessons
2017 - 2018
Malmo International School - Malmo, Sweden
• Taught students from beginner to advanced levels o Developed lesson plans for majority of students o Assisted the students in pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary acquisition and understanding
2016 - 2018
Cambly, Inc. - Online
• Provide unique tutoring to international adults • Assist students in learning and improving their English speaking, listening, and reading skills o Guide the students through reading exercises and have subject-focused conversation o Assist students in pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary understanding o Teach business English
2015 - 2015
Research & Database Management Intern (Internship)
Institute for Multi-Track Diplomacy - Virginia, USA
• Co-developed assessment tools and collaborated with consultancy company • Completed 40-hour facilitated dialogue training & helped recruit candidates for the training • Managed Pipedrive, an essential pipeline client database
2012 - 2014
Administrative Assistant and Client Interviewer
Antelope Valley Committee on Aging - California, USA
• Interviewed senior citizens as part of needs evaluation • Made follow-up calls to clients, conducted database entry and organized documents
2014 - 2014
Oklahoma State University - Oklahoma, USA
• Tutored 12 college freshmen in sociology and psychology courses • Helped students improve their analytical and critical thinking skills
2012 - 2012
English & Reading Tutor (Volunteer)
Salvation Army - Texas, USA
• Tutored native and non-native English speaking children in after-school program • Assisted the children with English and reading comprehension homework